Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Not looking to do a temporary deal!

In my last post I talked about the family homeless not giving up. Well they continue to be strong and they all have such an awesome spirit about their situation. I told some people at the church I serve at about it they wanted to know how they could help. I told them that I would look to see what they would need. Greg, the father of the family, said, "Ivy we just need water and coleman fuel for our grill, oh and if you could maybe a tarp to cover our tent and nails for our other shelter." I was able to get that for them right away.

Last Tuesday, I came back with what they needed, which was now only a tarp, and the pastor said they don't want to do a temporary fix. They want to walk with this family and help get them back on their feet. We are looking for housing for them and the church wants to possibly pay for the whole year and then also help mentor this family. We are looking to find a dentist to repair the wife's teeth to help give her confidence in job interviews. They want to help Jade, a sophomore girl in high school, have a great Christmas. I am so excited to see so many people wanting to walk with this family and walking with them is not temporary, but a journey hand and hand.

What if the church did this, you know, instead of making a temporary fix and feeling like they did something, but actually stepping and walking with a family or a person through their given situation? Even if it is ugly, broken, and shitty. (crappy just doesn't cut it sorry for the language)

Isn't that what making disciples would actually look like? Being Christ so they can be Christ.

thoughts?

No comments: