Sunday, October 19, 2008

Confidence

I was at a worship service recently and asked my self this question during it "What is it about a room filled with like minded people that brings such confidence to sing, but when the room is emptied the confidence stays alone?"

It has been 10 minutes that has gone by since I wrote the above. And this is what that question has done for the past three days, a stall in thought. I have been recently reading a book by Dietrich Bonhoeffer called "Life Together, The Classic Exploration of Faith in Community." Now I am usually reading the lastest column of the daily professional wrestling newsletter, but just in a simple chapter, this book has challenged me to ask questions like the one up above and even realize that the answer may not come at once or even at all. This book has challenged me to look at the gathering we do weekly in our local churches, but also world wide in churches. And here is what I come up with.....(sorry, this won't be question answered tonight)

3 comments:

Gary Durbin said...

Maybe it's a comfort thing. We're always more apt to express around people we're more comfortable with. Great question.

btw, Squidlips turned out to be a great out reach this last time. The house of joe thing is led by a really small youth group from a small church. They found my music on myspace. They're trying to get different churches, races, cultures together. I'm doing a few songs to kick off the night.

Bill Stanley said...

Keep asking the right questions and you'll find the right answers.

Mark Wallace said...

I agree that confidence is easy in numbers. I don't think that is a bad thing. Perhaps this relates to your "community" post? If a community of like minded people gives us confidence to do God's work, let's get a community together and go do the work! :-) We do this with mission trips, and it is a GOOD thing!

I would also agree that confidence wanes when we are alone. Maybe we can learn from the confidence we get in the group, and try more and more to apply that "learning" when we are alone. That is, once we learn what it feels like to be confident in a group, maybe we can try to draw from that experience even when we are "alone"... especially since, with Jesus, we are never really alone in this world.